Robert J. Adams and Associates
What Do I Need to File Chapter 7 Bankrutcy?
You decided that filing Chapter 7 is in your best interest. To effectively file your case various information and documents are needed. The following is a brief outline:
- You must list your property: cars, house (if own one); a generalized list of your furniture
- Some people will say “I’m current on my car and/or house.” They must still be listed. The finance company doesn’t want your car or house: they want your money. You just continue to pay
- All of your debts. We help get your free credit report but there are some creditors who do not report to the credit bureaus.
- Pay Stubs. The last 60 days of pay stubs.
- I didn’t work for all or part of the last 60 day: we can prepare a statement;
- If on social security, unemployment, worker’s compensation, or pension we just need a letter showing the monthly or periodic payments
- If paid cash or by check a letter from your employer on its letterhead
- If self-employed: a log of your income for the past several months. Depending on your income you might also have a log of your expenses.
- Sometimes but often where one’s income goes up and down we may need more than just the last 60 days.
- What if I’m married but only I am going to file? If you are married and living with your spouse we need her income. (We don’t list his/ her name or social security number.)
- Income Tax returns. The law requires that we have the last two (2) years of income tax returns.
- What if I haven’t worked for one or both years or I am not required to file a return (like some people of social security)? We can prepare a statement that you were not required to file an income tax return one or both years.
- What if I didn’t file because I didn’t get around to it or I didn’t file because I owe money? You need to get the returns filed; failure to do so will result in your Chapter 7 case being dismissed.
- Your social security card (for a very few ITIN or EIN card) and a valid driver’s license or state ID
- Credit counseling. We must have a certificate of credit counseling before a case can be filed.
- The course is taken over the web. Some clients do it at home and some do it in our office;
- We recommend one that has a low cost: under $10.
- The court’s filing fee: $335 (will be raised shortly). The filing fee can be paid in installments.
I know that this seems like a lot but most folks have everything and we do help you. Almost all cases go smoothly and you get your Discharge and Fresh Start.